Wednesday, May 28, 2008

weekly letter

May 28, 2008
 
Greetings to all!
 
Gardening is a favorite spring and summer activity for many people.  Some are more successful at it than others.  Kathleen Norris reflects on her experience as a gardener.
 
     My garden, even more than most, is an exercise in faith.  And in failure.  I inherited it when I moved to my grandmother's house but scarcely knew what I had...In the first years I was in the house, I felt that I should care for the flowers but didn't know how.  Advice from neighbors helped, but not enough.  Advice from books was sometimes of use, but often it only reinforced my sense of myself as a hopeless gardener.  I'd weed around the flowers and usually pull some flowers by mistake.  Often, in the spring, I was working away from home, and the weeds got away from me.  I was mightily impressed that the columbines and daisies never failed to come back up, no matter how I neglected them.  They came to seem like unlosable friends.
     In the half of the garden where my grandmother grew her vegetables, I've given up on tomatoes - end rot, no matter what I tried - and in some years have simply let the weeds take over.  When I manage to be at home in the early spring, I have a friend till the ground and plant basil, lettuce, and snow peas.  In a recent fit of optimism, I've tried to establish parsley (having killed off my grandmother's patch years ago), chives, sorrel, rosemary, and thyme.  The thyme died before the summer was out, as did much of the tarragon patch a friend helped establish years ago.  Some of it seemed to have survived, and I hope it will be up next spring, along with the rosemary, parsley, sorrel, and chives.  I wouldn't put money on any of it.
     In the medieval era gardens were designed to suffice for the loss of Eden.  The garden I've grown into, in my middle age, seems more a kind of Purgatory, but I love it.  It's a ratty little garden, not much at all. But I can call it mine.
(from The Cloister Walk)
The scripture lessons for Sunday, June 1, the Sacrament of Holy Communion:
     Genesis 6:9-22; 7:24; 8:14-19
     Romans 1:16-17; 3:22-31
     Matthew 7:21-29
 
Sunday Conversations continue this Sunday, June 1, 10am, in Trinity Hall.  Our conversation for this Sunday will focus on the lessons for the day (see above).  Feel free to join the conversation, enjoy a cup of coffee, or just listen in.
 
Make a Joyful Noise... The second annual "Weekend Together" will be held June 6 - 8.  Our theme will be Make a Joyful Noise: A Celebration of Music in the Life of the Church.  Activities will be available for all ages including:
     *Friday, June 6, 6pm - Dinner and Activities:  We will begin the weekend with a catered dinner and activities for all ages. Nell Horman and Lauren Fouts will lead a music program for children.  Adults will enjoy a program of hymn history and hymn singing led by Angela Hurley, closing with a service of "Evensong".  Please rsvp for Friday's dinner by reply email, by phone (263-5304), or by the sign up sheet in the sanctuary foyer.
     *Saturday, June 7, 9am - Activities for Children: Children will enjoy a morning of music and sign language, even making simple instruments of their own.
     *Sunday, June 8, 10am - Activities for Children and Adults: Children will put the finishing touches on music to be presented during morning worship.  Adults will enjoy a program of reflection and singing hymns from the "gospel tradition" as led by David Sharrard.  At 11am we will conclude our weekend with a service rich in music and singing.
 
Refugee Resettlement Update:  Nelson Barnes continues to guide resettlement work with our new neighbors Raghad, Rania, and Zahra.  Special thanks to all those who have helped in the effort through their dollars, donated items, and time.  Current needs include possible employment contacts and recreation activities for the children and/or family; a gently used chest of drawers would be much appreciated as well.  Contact Nelson (519-0013 or nb@nelbar.com) for more information.
 
Help Wanted:  We are seeking an occasional ride to church for one of our members who lives in the Tates Creek Road area (inside New Circle).  Contact the church office for more information.
 
Disaster Relief:   If you have not yet found a way to respond to recent natural calamities, including the Myanmar cyclone, China earthquake, and Midwest tornadoes, Walnut Hill is now accepting donations to be sent via our ecumenical partner, Church World Service.  A collection basked is available in the foyer of the sanctuary.  All individual donations will be added to a $500 donation soon to be sent from the Community Fund.
 
Peace to all.
 
Mike Ward    
 

No comments: