Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Walnut Hill Church Weekly Letter

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Greetings to all!

In her book, The Cup of Life, Joyce Rupp describes her discovery that all of 
life can be the setting for spiritual growth.

   I used to keep my spiritual life in a tight space and felt that my work, my 
social life, my relational joys and struggles actually kept me away from
God rather than teaching me and being sources of personal transformation
for me.  Now I see all of this differently.  I have come to believe that every
part of my life affects or influences my life with God.  The world I live in, with
its beauty and tragedy, with its creatures of all forms and shapes, is 
constantly offering me messages about who I am and who God is.  Everything 
and everyone teaches me about God, life, and myself.

   I try now to approach each person, event, creature, with two questions:
How are you my teacher?  What am I meant to learn?

The scripture lessons for Sunday, October 30:
Joshua 3:7-17
1 Thessalonians 2:9-13
Matthew 23:1-12

Sunday Conversations continue this Sunday, October 30, 10am, in Trinity
Hall.  Our conversation will focus around a video titled Pray The Devil Back
To Hell, the story of Leymah Gbowee (2011 Nobel Peace Prize co-winner) 
and the women's peace movement in Liberia.  What lessons might this 
women's movement offer for us?

The Children's Choir continues its practice sessions this Sunday, 10am,
in Trinity Hall.  All children (through elementary age) are invited to participate.

A Host(s) is needed for our after worship refreshments this Sunday, 
October 30.  Use reply email to volunteer for this Sunday, or check the
sign up sheet in the Sanctuary foyer for opportunities later in the fall.  

The Greatest Prayer study of the Lord's Prayer continues this Sunday,
4:30pm, at the home of Mike Ward (341 Albany Road).  All are invited. This 
Sunday's session focuses on the petitions "Hallowed be thy name...
Thy kingdom come."  We might be surprised to discover what we are asking 
each Sunday morning when we speak the Lord's Prayer together.

The Kentucky Council of Churches will gather for its 64th Annual Assembly, 
October 27-28, at Faith Baptist Church (116 Pocahontas Trail) in Georgetown.  
Among the Assembly events is an Ecumenical Worship Service, Thursday, 
7pm, at Faith Baptist Church, Georgetown.  The worship service is open to all.  
For more information regarding the Annual Assembly, check out the KCC website 
( www.kycouncilofchurches.org ).  Click the "Events" tab, then "assemblies."

Peace to all.

Mike Ward


No comments: