Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Walnut Hill Church Weekly Letter

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Greetings to all!

Along about this time in the Advent season, Mary takes center stage.  
I have long appreciated Kathleen Norris' reflections on "Virgin Mary,
Mother of God."

I used to feel [some] dissonance whenever I heard Mary described
a both Virgin and Mother; she seemed to set an impossible standard
for any woman.  But this was narrow-minded on my part.  What Mary
does is to show me how I [or anyone] can be both virgin and  mother.
Virgin to the extent that I remain "one-in-myself," able to come to 
things with newness of heart; mother to the extent that I forget myself
in the nurture and service of others, embracing the ripeness of 
maturity that this requires.  This Mary is a gender-bender; she could
do the same for any man.
(adapted from Amazing Grace)

The Scriptures for Sunday, December 18, 4th Sunday of Advent:
2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16
Romans 16:25-27
Luke 1:26-38

Sunday Conversations continue this Sunday, December 18, 10am,
in Trinity Hall.  Our focus for the morning, "The Christmas Story: Is
It One Story, Or Two?"  Come enjoy a cup of coffee, join the 
conversation, or just listen in.

The Giving Tree: Persons participating in the Giving Tree program
are asked to return their Giving Tree gifts and ornaments by this
Sunday, December 18.  Thanks for helping to make a child's and
family's Christmas a joyful one!

Christmas Weekend Schedule:
Saturday, Dec 24, 5pm - "Lessons, Carols, and Candlelight"
for all ages.
Sunday, Dec 25, 11am - Morning Worship and Holy Communion,
nursery care and Sunday School for children.

Thanks to adult leaders, parents, grandparents, and most of all, the
children and youth, for the special Christmas presentation last Sunday
morning, and thanks to our hosts and "party-goers" for a delightful
Christmas gathering last Sunday afternoon. It was a joy-filled day!

Peace to all.

Mike Ward



No comments: