Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Walnut Hill Church Weekly Letter

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Greetings to all!

By now most have had enough of this winter's cold, ice, and snow.
Gunilla Norris acknowledges the same for her, and then she has 
another thought...

The snow comes down in heaps.  All that white mess.  It's beautiful.
But when I look at it now, I see only INCONVENIENCE.  How much
of your world do I regard in this way?  Why is it so hard to live with
the beauty of "the way things are"?

I'm always wanting my own weather.  Instead, here are six inches
of white stuff to glower at.  I bundle up and begin the task of making
navigable trails.  The shovel rises and falls.  I am getting heated.

How many things do I shovel aside?  How many ways do I have to
pile things up out of my way?  I am always arranging instead of 
appreciating.

The snow is shimmering from within itself.  It has a pale blue light...
the confidence of its own nature.  And now despite myself, I feel
You turning my complaint into begrudging praise.

I am grateful that You give me these new eyes to see Your joy,
even as it sky-rides into my backyard and forces me to come to
grips with it.

(from "Shoveling" as found in Being Home)

The scripture lessons for Sunday, February 9...
Isaiah 58:1-12
1 Corinthians 2:1-16
Matthew 5:13-20

Sunday Conversations continue this Sun, Feb 9, 10am, in 
Trinity Hall.  Sunday Conversations vary widely from week to week
including Bible study, theology, spirituality, and current events.
Come enjoy a cup of coffee, join the conversation, or just listen in.

The Church's 7 Deadly Secrets book discussion will be held on
Sun, Feb 9, 4:00pm - 5:30pm, at the Brockopp residence.  This 
Sunday's discussion will focus on Chapter 7 & the Epilogue.

Exploring Our Spirituality (EOS) is coming beginning, Sunday,
March 2.  The theme for this spring's EOS season is "Traveling
Your Road to Joy."  Watch for more details.

Scout Sunday:  Walnut Hill will be observing Boy Scout Sunday
this Sun, Feb 9.  Scouts will be leading portions of our worship
and providing our Sunday hospitality.  We look forward to this
opportunity to celebrate the ideals of scouting.

SOUPER BOWL SUNDAY wrap-up.  This year's Souper Bowl
Sunday at Walnut Hill was as abundant as the football game
was one-sided.  There was delicious soup of every description,
and $454 was raised to support God's Pantry.  Thanks to all 
the soup chefs, soup tasters, and generous donors.

In the Community:  The Catholic Action Center is hosting a
volunteer training event on Sat, Feb 15, 1 - 3 pm, at the 
Community Inn (824 Winchester Rd).  Participants will learn
about ministry to the homeless and how they (individuals
and groups) can be involved.  To register, visit the website
( www.godsnet.info ) or call 514-7210.

Peace to all!

Mike Ward



No comments: