Thursday, December 3, 2015

Reflections for California

December 3, 2015

Dear Walnut Hill Friends:

In response to the horrific events in California, I am reminded of
a few verses of scripture* inviting me to …

"Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep."
Today I weep with those who mourn the loss of loved ones, who
recover from physical wounds, whose spirits have been traumatized
by these events.

"Let love be genuine … hold fast to what is good"
Now more than ever, it is important for me to affirm the goodness
of life, not only for myself, but for all people, and to do what I can to
help others experience that goodness. 

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."
I hope that fear will not prevent me from remaining open to the
world in which I live and those who share that world with me, even
as I seek to live in such a way that demonstrates the love of God
for all people.

I offer this prayer adapted from a prayer by Brother Roger of Taizé,
as found in the Book of Common Worship:

Lord Christ,
at times we are like strangers on this earth,
taken aback by all the violence.
Like a gentle breeze, breathe upon us your Spirit of peace.
Transfigure the deserts of our doubts and fears,
and so make us to be bearers of your love,
wherever you place us,
until the day when peace and love
prevail in our lives and in our world.
Amen.

Mike Ward

*scripture verses from the Letter of Paul to the Romans, chapter 12.

No comments: