Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Walnut Hill Church Weekly Letter

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Greetings to all!

Recent international events and rhetoric remind me of some thoughts offered 
by Thomas Merton during the Cold War. Merton reflected on what "praying for 
peace" meant to him in those days.  While today's nations and players might 
be different, I wonder if Merton's thoughts about praying for peace might still 
have relevance.  If you are so inclined, simply change the names to fit today's 
situation.

When I pray for peace I pray to pacify not only the Russians and the Chinese
but above all my own nation and myself.  When I pray for peace I pray to be
protected not only from the Reds but also from the folly and blindness of my
own country.  When I pray for peace, I pray not only that the enemies of my
country may cease to want war, but above all that my own country will cease
to do the things that make war inevitable.  In other words, when I pray for
peace I am not just praying that the Russians will give up without a struggle
and let us have our own way, I am praying that both we and the Russians
may somehow be restored to sanity and learn how to work out our problems,
as best we can, together instead of preparing for global suicide.
(from New Seeds of Contemplation, 1962)

The scripture lessons for Sunday, August 13…
Genesis 37:1-4, 12-28
Romans 10:5-15
Matthew 14:22-33

Sunday Conversations continue this Sunday, August 13, 10am, in Trinity
Hall.  Sunday Conversations include a wide variety of topics from week to
week.  Watch the Friday update for details regarding this Sunday's 
conversation.

Sandwich Ministry - For the last several years Walnut Hill has provided
sandwiches for overnight guests at the Catholic Action Center on the fourth 
Sunday of each month.  We continue that tradition even as the center has 
moved to its new location at 1055 Industry Road.  Check the sign up sheet 
in the Sanctuary foyer for information/opportunities to serve as a Sandwich 
Minister. 

Recycling - A blue recycling container has recently been placed in Trinity
Hall.  If you are disposing of a drink bottle/can or other recyclable during the
after worship gathering or other church program, seek out the blue container
and help us be a little more earth friendly. 

Kroger Community Rewards - Unlike past years, participants in the
Community Rewards program do not need to renew their registration during
the month of August.  Simply continue using your Kroger card and Walnut
Hill will benefit from your regular purchases.  If you are not currently enrolled
and would like to do so, visit www.kroger.com or call 1-800-KROGERS, option 3.
Walnut Hill's organization number is 46525.  Thirty households currently
participate in the Community Rewards program supporting Walnut Hill and
their participation generated approximately $1,200 for Walnut Hill during the 
last program year.  Thanks to all!

THANKS to all those who in ordinary and extraordinary ways made it
possible for the Ward family to enjoy two weeks of vacation and family time.
Your leadership and service is greatly appreciated.

Peace to all,

Mike Ward





No comments: