Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Walnut Hill Church Weekly Letter

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Greetings to all!

On April 4, 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr was assassinated on the balcony
of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, TN.  Dr. King was in Memphis to support
the sanitation workers' strike in that city.  On the evening of April 3, Dr. King
delivered his final speech, often referred to as "The Mountaintop Speech."

…I don't know what will happen now.  We've got some difficult days ahead.
But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountain 
top.  And I don't mind.  Like anybody, I would like to live a long life; longevity 
has its place.  But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's 
will.  And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. 
And I've seen the promised land.  I may not get there with you.  But I want 
you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land.  And 
I'm happy tonight, I'm not worried about anything.  I'm not fearing any man.  
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.
(as found in The Words of Martin Luther King, Jr)

Magaret B. Grimes, a Friend of Walnut Hill Church, departed this life on 
March 24.  Margaret frequently visited Walnut Hill in years past when her 
husband, the late Dr. John Grimes, supplied the pulpit.  A memorial service 
will be held at a later date. Visit Margaret Grimes to view the obituary.

The lectionary texts for April 8, the Second Sunday of Easter…

Sunday Conversations resume this Sunday, April 8, 10am, in Trinity Hall.
This Sunday's conversation, "MLK plus 50," is prompted by this week's 50th 
anniversary of the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.  

Children's Choir - Children through elementary age are invited to gather
this Sunday, 10am, for music and singing in anticipation of a music
presentation later in the spring.

OGHS Last Call -This Sunday is the last call for collection boxes/donations
in support of the One Great Hour of Sharing offering.  Place your collection
boxes and/or other donations in the baskets in the Sanctuary foyer.

Kroger Community Rewards - Walnut Hill has lately received a check in
the amount of $269, last quarter's proceeds of participation by 30 Walnut 
Hill households in the Kroger Community Rewards program. Thanks to all!

Summer Camp - It's not too early to begin making summer camp plans for
children and youth in your household.  Check out Cathedral Domain and
Camp Burnamwood for two excellent camps with program opportunities for
children and youth.  Remember that Walnut Hill Church will provide 50% 
sponsorship for any Walnut Hill child/youth attending a Burnamwood or
Domain camp program. 

Peace to all.

Mike Ward





No comments: