Wednesday, October 22, 2008

weekly letter

October 22, 2008
 
Greetings to all!
 
One of Jesus' most well-known teachings is the commandment to "love your neighbor as yourself."  Joyce Rupp reflects on this commandment:
 
     This second commandment which Jesus proclaimed is a challenge not only to love others, but also to love myself well.  After all, I am to treat others as I treat myself, and sometimes I treat myself rather shabbily.  I do this when I do not allow myself enough sleep, fill my body with unhealthy food, over work and get stressed, omit play and prayer in my day, forget to affirm and be grateful for my personal gifts...the list could go on and on. Jesus' commandment assumes that I love myself and that I am good to myself.  On this basis, I am to be good to others.
     I believe there are false messages in the back of our minds that keep us from living the second commandment.  One message says that we aren't supposed to think kindly of ourselves because that would be pride.  Another tells us that we should not give ourselves much attention or be too good to ourselves because that would be selfish.  Yet if we are not kind and considerate of our own persons, how can we be this way with others?
(from Inviting God In)
The Scripture lessons for Sunday, October 26:
     Deuteronomy 34:1-12
     1 Thessalonians 2:1-8
     Matthew 22:34-46
 
Men's Coffee - Walnut Hill men are invited to gather for coffee this Saturday, October 25, 8am, at Paneras on Richmond Road.  Feel free to stop in for as long or short a time as your schedule allows.  No rsvp required.
 
Sunday Conversations around the Scripture lessons for the day and other topics continue this Sunday, October 26, 10am, in Trinity Hall.  Feel free join the conversation or just listen in.  David Sharrard will be leading this Sunday's conversation.
 

The Walnut Hill Children's Choir continues practice this Sunday, October 26, 10am, in Trinity Hall.  Nell Horman is once again leading the children as they learn to use voices and instruments to celebrate God's love.  The children are particularly working on Christmas music leading to a Sunday morning presentation in December.  All Walnut Hill children are welcome to participate.

 

A Fall Family Fellowship Day is scheduled for Sunday, October 26, after worship.  There will be special refreshments for all, and for the children there will be fun activities and a mission project.  Regarding the mission project, the children will assemble "Hygiene Kits" to be sent to disaster areas via Church World Service.  You can help with the "Hygiene Kits" by donating any of the following items:  wash cloths, hand towels (16 X 28 in.), soap (bath size), band aids, tooth brushes, combs, and nail clippers. 

 

In the community:  The Christian-Muslim Dialogue will meet on Saturday, October 25, 10am - Noon, at the Hunter Presbyterian Church.  The speaker will be Dr. Michael Rivage-Seul, Director of Peace and Social Justice Studies at Berea College.  Dr. Rivage-Seul's topic will be "Integral Peace Studies: the Role of Spirituality and Meditation."  A potluck meal (at Noon) will follow the presentation.

 

Thanks, news, etc...

     *The Vestry will meet this Sunday, October 26, 10am, in Trinity Hall. 

     *This year's annual Congregational Meeting will be held on Sunday, November 9, immediately after morning worship. Please mark the date on your calendar and plan to attend.

 

Peace to all.

 

Mike Ward

No comments: