Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Walnut Hill Church Weekly Letter

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Greetings to all!

How do our imperfections relate to the spiritual life? Joyce Rupp, spiritual
writer and teacher, offers some thoughts.

   I used to think, "If I can just get rid of those things that I don't like about
myself, then life will run smoothly.  I'll feel a lot better about myself.
Others will like me more."  While there is a certain truth in some of this,
there is also an underlying falseness: no matter how "good" I am, life
will not always run smoothly, and I will always have some flaws.  I won't
always feel wonderful, and certainly not all people are going to like me
no matter how "perfect" I am.

   I now think differently about my flaws.  I see how being fully human is
a paradox.  Growing and becoming more of a person whose life resembles
the values of Jesus is important.  At the same time, my flaws are some of
my greatest treasures, like grains of sand in oyster shells that must grate
and irritate to become pearls.  My imperfections keep my ego in check.
They remind me daily of how much I need the grace of God.  They help
me to be more understanding and compassionate with the inadequacies
of others.  They also give me the opportunity to grow and change.  Many
times my inadequacies are what give the real flavor to my life.

   Accepting our less-than-perfect selves is one of those big hurdles that
needs to be faced in order to mature on the spiritual path.  While it is
important for us to continually grow into more loving persons, it is equally 
important for us to value and accept who we are.
(from The Cup of Our Life)

The scripture lessons for Sunday, October 21...
*Matthew 22:34-40

Walnut Hill men are invited to gather for coffee each Saturday morning,
8am, at Paneras on Richmond Road.  Feel free to stop by for as long or
short a time as your schedule allows.  No rsvp required.

Sunday Conversations continue this Sunday, October 21, 10am, in Trinity
Hall as we answer the question, "Whatever happened to sin?"  Has this 
traditional religious concept outlived its usefulness, or does it still have
something valuable to offer for our self-understanding and spiritual life?  
We will talk about this.

Children's Choir begins on Sunday, October 28, 10am, in Trinity Hall.
Children through elementary age are invited to gather for singing in 
preparation for a Sunday morning presentation during the holiday season.
Also, children (and youth) who play musical instruments are invited to let
us know about them, so that they might be included in our holiday season
observance.

Dinner & Program, Part 2 - Friday, November 2, 6:30pm, Bronte Bistro
at Joseph Beth:  We will follow up our earlier dinner gathering with this 
second dinner and program focusing on the campaign/political season.  
LFUCG Council person, K. C. Crosbie, will be our program guest.  Rsvp 
by reply email or by the sign up sheet in the Sanctuary foyer.

Newsletter:  Our Nov/Dec printed newsletter is soon to be published.  
Please contact the church office if you have an item for inclusion in this
newsletter edition.

Exploring Our Spirituality (EOS) - We are currently in the midst of the 
EOS season, an opportunity for the community and its members to reflect 
on various aspects of the spiritual life.  EOS opportunities include:
*Sunday Conversations and morning worship exploring weekly
EOS themes.
*Weekly Home Flyers with suggestions for individual and family
reflection and action.  Look for the weekly flyers in the Sanctuary foyer.
*EOS Small Groups, evening and daytime, providing opportunity
for fellowship and further exploration of the EOS themes. Use reply email 
or call the church office (263-5304) for small group meeting times
and locations.
Feel free to participate in whatever EOS activities are meaningful for you.

Peace to all.

Mike Ward








No comments: